One of the reasons you are visiting this site is because you already understand that you must pass the Montana licensing exam before you can obtain your Resident insurance license. In order to take the Montana licensing exam, you must first register with Pearson VUE, which has been selected by Montana to administer your licensing exam.
To schedule an exam with the testing service, either call them at 800-274-8906 or register online here. Before you register, you may want to read our informative guide entitled All About Registering For and Taking the Montana Insurance Exam. Please note that taking 180 Licensing course DOES NOT register you for the exam.
The Following Steps Will Guide You Through The Process Of Becoming Licensed In Montana:
1) Select an Exam Prep (Prelicensing) Course to Help You Pass the Montana Insurance Exam
In Montana, prelicensing education is not an absolute requirement. However, it is best if you find a good source to prep for the insurance exams, which are difficult. And you have a choice of a number of exam prep (prelicensing education). Of course, 180 Licensing considers itself the very best, most enjoyable, and cost-effective method of preparing for your exam. Our National courses in Montana do not have state law content. You must supplement our national courses with the state law materials that you received from another source such as another exam prep company or your employer to best prepare for your exam. If you do not have access to such materials, we believe that the best source for Montana specific content is either Connole-Morton Schools or America’s Professor.
Here is a rundown of your choices and our opinions:
- Correspondence Courses. Often these courses consist of a manual and perhaps some sample questions on a disk that may or may not be specific to your state’s exam. The course manuals are boring, often out-of-date, and do not effectively convey the critical points that need to be mastered by you. They do not use techniques that “teach” you the material.
- Live Classes. Sometimes these classes are effective and sometimes they are not – pick one and take your chances. Plus, these courses are often not located near you, and you must miss time from work or travel to take the class. When we find what we consider a good live class located in your state through our market research, we will list the class here. If you know of an exceptional class, please email us so we can confirm and list the class.
- Online Courses with Simulated Instructors. If you have listened to computer generated voices before, you know that they will drive you nuts after a few hours. We cannot imagine listening to a computer voice for 40 hours trying to prepare for a licensing exam.
- Online Courses with Real Instructors. A couple of companies have online classes with real people lecturing. While good in theory, most of these “real people” are simply talking heads in the corner of the screen that you will soon tire of.
- A Comprehensive Interactive Course That Teaches. You guessed it! 180 Licensing has spent hundreds of hours creating a manual that is not only fun to read, but that is also highly authoritative and effective We have personally helped over 10,000 students pass their licensing exams using our materials and techniques. Our interactive exam prep materials take you step by step through the critical test points – the materials are “designed to teach”. You can learn the key points at your own pace, anywhere you wish. With our online course materials, you do not need to second guess anything – it’s all there, in one easy package. Passing the exam cannot be made any easier or more enjoyable than with 180 Licensing!
2) Register To Take the Montana Insurance Exam with Pearson VUE
You must register to take the exam with the Pearson VUE several weeks in advance so that you will be guaranteed a spot for at the test center of your choice on the day of your choice. You may register online here or call 800-274-8906. For details, read All About Registering For and Taking the Montana Insurance Exam.
3) Decide Where To Take the Exam Montana Insurance
The exam is given in Missoula, Helena, Billings, and the Spokane Valley (WA). Go to the Pearson VUE Test Center Locator, here. Before you actually choose a test and location, you may want more details. If so, read All About Registering For and Taking the Montana Insurance Exam.
4) Get Fingerprinted
According to the Pearson VUE Candidate Handbook, Pearson VUE has contracted with IdentoGO By MorphoTrust USA (formerly L1-Enrollment) to provide digital fingerprinting at the following test centers: • Billings, MT • Missoula, MT • Helena, MT • Spokane Valley, WA. The fee for digital fingerprinting is $54.00, and includes the state DOJ and FBI check fees. Candidates must first call Pearson VUE to make their exam registration. After scheduling the examination, you must contact IdentoGO By MorphoTrust USA who provides a digital fingerprinting service to schedule a fingerprinting session. You can contact IdentoGO By MorphoTrust USA at 866-761-8069, or here.
5) Submit The Proper Licensing Paperwork in Order to Obtain Montana Insurance License
This is the fun and easy part, for you, at least. Your employer will assist you in submitting the application paperwork or directly you to apply electronically though NIPR here.
Warning: Once you either pass your exam or submit your paperwork for your license, in Montana, you have 12 months to complete the process; otherwise, you must start the entire licensing application process over (this includes having to retake your exam!).
Disclaimer: 180 Licensing Exam Prep, Inc. makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of this article, information is subject to change. The final authority for the latest insurance licensing information is your state’s department of insurance.
Must Read: Our National online, self-paced, exam prep courses offered in Montana contain national insurance and general state law rules, but do not contain your exam’s specific state law content (about 15-20% of your exam). You must supplement our materials with your state’s specific state law rules. You may have access to such materials from your recruiter or another source. If not, we believe the best two sources for state specific insurance exam prep content in the state of Montana are either Connole-Morton Insurance Schools or America’s Professor. Our National courses are designed by award winning Professor Jerry Furniss and are excellent for getting you over the exam finish line the fastest and easiest way possible when supplemented with solid state law content. Go here for more information.