Comment: This website has detailed information about everything you would ever want to know about insurance regulation in South Carolina. Unfortunately, most of this information will be of much more interest AFTER you pass the exam and begin your career in insurance.
This website is useful for getting information necessary to reach specific individuals you may need to contact within South Carolina Department of Insurance before obtaining your license. For example, if you have previously held an insurance license in another state or in South Carolina, you should contact the department’s licensing personnel to see if any particular rules apply to you. Also, if you have a significant criminal record such as a felony, a prior bankruptcy, or child support payment issues, you may have a delay in obtaining your insurance license. On this website, you can find the people who know the answers to those kinds of questions. At 180 Licensing, we have found the staff members at the South Carolina Department of Insurance to be very friendly and helpful.
When in doubt about any technical licensing or regulatory issue, the South Carolina Department of Insurance is the authoritative administrative agency to contact. Their phone number is 803-737-6160.
South Carolina Statutes and Regulations
Comment: These are exact copies of South Carolina’s state statutes and regulations. The detail is overwhelming. Our recommendation is to not visit these two state sites unless you have a very specific issue you want to research.
PSI Testing Service
Comment: Working with the state of South Carolina, PSI has the contract to write and administer the insurance exams in South Carolina.
There are a lot of useful resources on this site, including:
- Test Registration Services. To register you may call the testing company 800-733-9267 or register online here.
- Test Content Outlines. There are Test Content Outlines for each insurance exam administered by the testing company. But, the outlines are very broad and do not supply adequate detail. It is critical that any materials you use in your studies not only cover the key points in the Test Content Outlines, but also expand on them to provide the comprehensive information needed to pass the exam. That’s where 180 Licensing comes in with solid exam prep materials. Supplement our National prep materials with the state rules you received from your prelicensing education provider to position yourself to pass the exam.
- Candidate Information Bulletin. PSI’s website does have detailed information in the Candidate Information Bulletin that will be very useful if you have unique issues. For example, the Candidate Information Bulletin covers I.D. problems, such as if you are in the process of changing your name and your I.D. does not match the name you are currently using. You will also find all of the helpful details regarding getting a refund of your test fee, rescheduling your exam date, making special arrangements if you have a testing disability issue, or determining whether the exam is offered in a language other than English. Dig into this handbook to get most of your questions answered.
- Online Practice Questions. The testing company has online practice exams available. While these exams will give you a feel for how a test question is structured, the testing company cannot ethically sell you test questions. 180 Licensing has one of the largest practice test banks that we know of included as part of our exam prep packages.
Fingerprinting Services (IdentoGO)
To schedule a fingerprint reservation, please contact PSI’s third party vendor, IdentoGO.
Resident Producers may schedule fingerprint appointments online using the following steps:
- Go to IdentoGO and click on Get Fingerprinted (top right menu icon).
- Under Search for services by state, select “South Carolina” then “Go”.
- Click on “State Fingerprinting”.
- Under “For New Appointments” click on “Schedule a New Appointment”.
- In the drop-down box, select “SC920124Z-DOI Producer Licensing/Renewal” and click “Go”.
- Enter your Zip Code.
- Choose the location and date you want, select “Click to Schedule” and choose the time of your appointment
- On the remaining screens, complete the fields as requested to schedule and pay for the fingerprints.
If you need assistance scheduling an appointment with IdentoGO, please contact their office at 844-321-2124.
Online Licensing Service (NIPR)
Comment: The state of South Carolina has contracted with the National Insurance Producers Registry (NIPR) to provide you with an online license application portal. In most states for most major insurance licenses, the online licensing process has largely replaced the old paper application system. Check with the South Carolina Insurance Department if you have the need to apply by paper.
National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC)
Comment: All of the state insurance regulators belong to this organization. The government regulators use NAIC to share information and create model legislation as guidance for the individual states.
Since this website is primarily oriented toward insurance regulators, we have not found the site to be as beneficial for someone preparing for the exam. But, a visit to this site can be instructive in a few ways. First, you will gain an appreciation for how complex the insurance industry is. Second, you will see the vast array of issues facing the insurance industry on any given day. And, last, you will find a number of the NAIC Consumer Guides very informative (such as the Shopper’s Guide for Buying Life Insurance, the guide on Deferred Annuities with Equity Index Features, etc.)
Disclaimer: 180 Licensing Exam Prep, Inc. makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of this article, information is subject to change. The final authority for the latest insurance licensing information is your state’s department of insurance.
Must Read: Our National online, self-paced, exam prep courses offered in South Carolina contain national insurance and general state law rules, but do not contain your exam’s specific state law content (about 15-20% of your exam). You must supplement our materials with your state’s specific state law rules. You may have access to such materials from your recruiter or another source. If not, we may be able to assist you in finding such materials. Our National courses are designed by award winning Professor Jerry Furniss and are excellent for getting you over the exam finish line the fastest and easiest way possible. Go here for more information.