One of the reasons you are visiting this site is because you already understand that you must pass the Maine licensing exam before you can obtain your Resident insurance license. In order to take the Maine licensing exam, you must first register with Pearson VUE, which is the exam testing company that has been selected by Maine to administer your licensing exam. Formal prelicensing education is NOT required to take any of the major lines of exams (life, disability, property, or casualty) in Maine.
To register you may call the testing company at 800-274-4959 or register online here. Before you register, you may want to read our informative guide entitled All About Registering For and Taking the Maine Insurance Exam. Please note that taking a 180 Licensing course DOES NOT register you for the exam and is designed for exam prep only. (In other words, our courses are strictly designed to help you pass your exam.) Supplement our national courses with the state law materials that you received from your prelicensing education provider to best prepare for your exam.
For advice on how to pass the exam and what to expect on exam day, see our Guide to Passing the Maine Insurance Exam.
The Following Steps Will Guide You Through The Process Of Becoming Licensed In Maine:
1) Select Any Exam Prep Company You Wish to Help You Pass the Maine Insurance Exam
In Maine, candidates are not required to have prelicensing education.
If you are taking one or more of the major lines exams (life, health, property, or casualty) and feel the need for assistance with exam preparation, you have a number of choices. Of course, 180 Licensing considers itself the very best, most enjoyable, and cost-effective method of preparing for your major lines exams. Supplement our national courses with the state law materials that you received from your prelicensing education provider to best prepare for your exam.
Here is a rundown of your choices and our opinions. These include:
- Correspondence Courses. Often these courses consist of a manual and perhaps some sample questions on a disc that may or may not be specific to your state’s exam. The course manuals are boring and often out-of-date, and do not effectively convey the critical points that need to be mastered by you. And, they do not use techniques that “teach” you the material.
- A Live Class. Sometimes these classes are effective and sometimes they are not- pick one and take your chances. Plus, these courses are often not located near you, and you must miss time from work or travel to take the class. And, if you don’t understand a point, it is virtually impossible to “rewind” the instructor to review any confusing points.
- Online Courses with Simulated Instructors. If you have listened to computer generated voices before, you know that they will drive you nuts after a few hours. I cannot imagine listening to a computer voice for 40 hours trying to prepare for a licensing exam.
- Online Courses with Real Instructors. A couple of companies have online classes with real people lecturing. While good in theory, most of these “real people” are simply “talking heads” in the corner of the screen that you will soon tire of – who wants to watch a little pointed talking head for 40 hours on a little computer screen? I know I don’t. But you may find that appealing.
- Comprehensive Interactive Course That Teaches. You guessed it! 180 Licensing has spent hundreds of hours creating a manual that is not only fun to read, but that is also highly authoritative and effective We have personally helped over 10,000 students pass their licensing exams using our materials and techniques. Our interactive exam prep materials take you step by step through the critical test points – the materials are “designed to teach”. You can learn the key points at your own pace, anywhere you wish. With our online materials, you do not need to second guess anything – it’s all there, in one easy package. Passing the exam cannot be made any easier or more enjoyable than with 180 Licensing!
2) Register To Take the Maine Insurance Exam with Pearson VUE
You must register to take the exam with Pearson VUE several weeks in advance so that you will be guaranteed a spot for at the Test Center of your choice on the day of your choice. To register you may call the testing company at 800-274-4959 or register online here. For details, read All About Registering For and Taking the Maine Insurance Exam.
3) Decide Where To Take the Maine Insurance Exam
The exam is given in a couple of locations here in Maine – Bangor and Westbrook. Go to the Pearson VUE Test Center Locator, here. Before you actually choose a test and location, you may want more details. If so, read All About Registering For and Taking the Maine Insurance Exam.
4) Submit The Proper Licensing Paperwork in Order to Obtain Maine Insurance License
This is the fun and easy part, for you, at least. Your employer will assist you in submitting the application paperwork and will likely direct you to submit electronically through NIPR website.
Warning: Once you either pass your exam or submit your paperwork for your license, in Maine, you have 120 days to complete the process; otherwise, you must start the entire licensing application process over (this includes having to retake your exam!).
Disclaimer: 180 Licensing Exam Prep, Inc. makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of this article, information is subject to change. The final authority for the latest insurance licensing information is your state’s department of insurance.
Must Read: Our National online, self-paced, exam prep courses offered in Maine contain national insurance and general state law rules, but do not contain your exam’s specific state law content (about 15-20% of your exam). You must supplement our materials with your state’s specific state law rules. You may have access to such materials from your recruiter or another source. If not, we may be able to assist you in finding such materials. Our National courses are designed by award winning Professor Jerry Furniss and are excellent for getting you over the exam finish line the fastest and easiest way possible. Go here for more information.