One of the reasons you are visiting this site is because you already understand that you must pass the California licensing exam before you can obtain your Resident insurance license. California has contracted with PSI, a testing service, to administer all California insurance exams. To register for the exam you may call PSI at 800-733-9267 at or register online. Before you register, you may want to read our informative guide entitled All About Registering For and Taking the California Insurance Exam.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that taking a 180 Licensing Exam Prep course DOES NOT register you for the exam AND it DOES NOT register you for your required California prelicensing education course.
Our courses are designed ONLY as exam prep courses to assist you in passing the California insurance licensing exams after you have taken your required prelicensing education in the event you are having difficulty passing the exam. Use our material and supplement with the state law material from your prelicensing education provider to put the odds in your favor of passing the insurance exam.
The Following Steps Will Guide You Through The Process Of Becoming Licensed In California:
1) Select an Exam Prep (Prelicensing) Course to Help You Pass the California Insurance Exam
In California, you must complete an approved prelicensing education course BEFORE you can take your insurance licensing exam. If you have taken or about to take your approved course, 180 Licensing provides an excellent course which supplements your approved prelicensing course and which is designed to help you pass the California insurance exam. To find an approved California prelicensing course, go here. Please note that many prelicensing education courses are not really designed to help you pass the actual licensing exam, so you may need help getting ready for the exam – and that is where 180 Exam Prep courses come into play.
- Correspondence Courses. Often these courses consist of a manual and perhaps some sample questions on a disc that may or may not be specific to your state’s exam. The course manuals are boring, often out-of-date, and do not effectively convey the critical points that need to be mastered by you. They do not use techniques that “teach” you the material.
- A Live Class. Sometimes these classes are effective and sometimes they are not – pick one and take your chances. Plus, these courses are often not located near you, and you must miss time from work or travel to take the class. (When we find what we consider a good live class located in your state through our market research, we will list the class here. If you know of an exceptional class, please email us so we can confirm and list the class.)
- Online Courses with Simulated Instructors. If you have listened to computer generated voices before, you know that they will drive you nuts after a few hours. We cannot imagine listening to a computer voice for 40 hours trying to prepare for a licensing exam.
- Online Courses with Real Instructors. A couple of companies have online classes with real people lecturing. While good in theory, most of these “real people” are simply talking heads in the corner of the screen that you will soon tire of.
- A Comprehensive Interactive Course That Teaches. You guessed it! 180 Licensing has spent hundreds of hours creating a manual that is not only fun to read, but that is also highly authoritative and effective. We have personally helped over 10,000 students pass their licensing exams using our materials and techniques. Our interactive course materials take you step by step through the critical test points – the materials are “designed to teach.” You can learn the key points at your own pace, anywhere you wish. With our online prep materials, you do not need to second guess anything – it’s all there, in one easy package. Passing the exam cannot be made any easier or more enjoyable than with 180 Licensing!
2) Register To Take the California Insurance Exam with The California Department of Insurance
You must register to take the exam several weeks in advance so that you will be guaranteed a spot for at the test center of your choice on the day of your choice. To register online, go here. For details, read All About Registering For and Taking the California Insurance Exam.
3) Decide Where To Take the California Exam
The exam is given in a number of locations here in California. Go to the Test Center Locator here. Before you actually choose a test and location, you may want more details. If so, read All About Registering For and Taking the California Insurance Exam.
4) Get Fingerprinted
To schedule a fingerprint reservation, please contact PSI’s third party vendor, Accurate Biometrics. Schedule your exam reservation first, then contact Accurate Biometrics and schedule your fingerprint reservation. Try to plan your fingerprinting after you pass your exam and immediately before you apply for your license because the fingerprint data is available to the CDOI for only 30 days. Go here to register.
5) Submit The Proper Licensing Paperwork in Order to Obtain California Insurance License
This is the easy part, for you, at least. Your insurance office or company will submit the application paperwork or request that you submit your application online through Sircon, the vendor chosen by California for license applications online. Go here to apply.
Warning: In California a passing exam score is good for one year. If you do not submit your application within one year of passing the exam, you will have to retake it!
Disclaimer: 180 Licensing Exam Prep, Inc. makes every effort to ensure the accuracy of this article, information is subject to change. The final authority for the latest insurance licensing information is your state’s department of insurance.
Must Read: Our National online, self-paced, exam prep courses offered in California do not meet your state’s prelicensing education requirement. They contain national insurance and general state law rules, but do not contain your exam’s specific state law content (about 15-20% of your exam). If you have taken an approved prelicensing education course, have a valid certificate, and still need a passing score, use our materials and supplement with the state law material from your prelicensing provider. Designed by award winning Professor Jerry Furniss, our interactive exam prep materials are excellent for getting you over the finish line the fastest and easiest way possible. Go here for more information.